Since this is my 100th blog post, I decided to celebrate with a very different post than usual. Though Mom to Mom comes up regularly in my ramblings, I don’t often write just about Mom to Mom.
But these days I’m feeling very reflective. Believe it or not, Mom to Mom is approaching a big birthday: #20! That may surprise you, as our curriculum is more recent. But the first Mom to Mom was actually held at Grace Chapel in Lexington, Massachusetts, on September 19, 1991. I remember the excitement that first day. We were ecstatic just to have gotten through the morning—a great morning. But little could any of us have imagined what God had in store for Mom to Mom!
I often tell people that I came into Mom to Mom kicking and screaming. My first love had always been teaching Bible studies. When God began to call me to develop a moms’ ministry, I felt a little like Moses in Exodus 3: “Great idea, God! I’m sure there is someone who would love to do it.”
What was I thinking? How could I have possibly missed this wonderful ride! Any of you who know me know I love Mom to Mom! So, in a celebration of praise and thanks to God, here, in random order, are a few “Things I Love about Mom to Mom”:
- I love being with moms. Is there anything better?
- I love hearing moms breathe a sigh of relief: “It’s so good to know I’m not the only one who . . .”
- I love watching moms come to know God. One mom’s words to me were simple but profound: “Just think: Before Mom to Mom I didn’t even know your God. Now He’s my God, too.”
- I love hearing how women have learned to love their children better. One mom told me, “When I first came to Mom to Mom, I was completely overwhelmed with my one baby. I think I was borderline abusive. Now, after four years at Mom to Mom, I have three children and just love being a Mom.
- I love watching women connect. “I just moved into this area. My family’s far away and I felt so isolated in my mom-job. My Mom to Mom group has become family to me!”
- I love seeing eyes opened to the LIFE that is in God’s Word. “I notice there are things in the Bible I want my kids to know. So I think there must be things in the Bible I need to know. I’ve never read the Bible. But I’m going to get one. Does your church have classes about the Bible?”
- I love hearing from husbands about how they appreciate Mom to Mom. One stopped me in the hall at church one Sunday to ask: “Could you possibly do Mom to Mom two days a week? Mom to Mom days are our best days!”
- I love the community created at Mom to Mom. One mom told me this week: “My daughter has had four miscarriages in the past 18 months. It’s her Mom to Mom group that’s gotten her through. They’re her life-line.”
- I love how we all grow at Mom to Mom. A Titus 2 leader told me just yesterday: “I’ve never once left Mom to Mom without at least 2 or 3 things I could apply directly in multiple relationships. My kids love Mom to Mom. My husband loves Mom to Mom. My friends love Mom to Mom.”
- I love seeing lives—and families—changed. One mom admitted to being so angry when she first came to Mom to Mom that she tried to shock her leader with her worst language. Since then she and her husband and children have come to Christ. They’ve been great witnesses for Him through illness, on mission trips, and in their own church and community.
- I love watching God at work! Mom to Mom is Titus 2 lived out. When we signed the contract with LifeWay for our new curriculum, one of our board members responded with Psalm 118:23: “This is the Lord’s doing. It is marvelous in our eyes.” A perfect verse for Mom to Mom: God is at work. How eternally grateful I am to be a part of His work!
Or course you know I could go on and on with my list. But I’d love to hear from you. What do you love about Mom to Mom? How has God grown you through Mom to Mom? It could be a word, a sentence, or a brief anecdote. But don’t forget: We’re going to draw from all those who comment two winners for those tickets to .MOM. We’d love to see you there!